Celebrating Annapurna Jayanti with the recipe of the day “Khichree”.
This version of Khichree has a refinement that comes from perfectly balanced flavors and aromas.
1 cup long grain rice, 1 cup skinless green gram, 1 cup pink lentils, 2 tbsp oil or ghee, 1/2tsp cumin seeds, 1 small onion sliced, 1 tbsp shredded ginger, 3 cups hot water, 2 tsp salt, 4 cloves, 4 cardamoms, 2 bay leaves, 1″ cinnamon, 10 peppercorns, 1/2 cup crisp fried onions.
1) Clean, Wash and soak the rice and dal in seperate bowls; drain.
2) Heat the oil in a pan with a well fitting lid.
3) Adding ingredients- temper the oil with cumin seeds till they deepen color, the onions turn pale gold, the ginger turns pink. Add rice and dal and stir gently till well glazed with the oil.
4) Add the water, salt and whole spices; let the Khichree bubble strongly; cover tightly; reduce the heat to very low and cook for 15 mins. The grains of the rice and dal should be soft, fluffy and seperate. If it is sticky, this could be because they were not throughly drained or soaked for too long.
5) Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with crisp fried onions.
Recipe from “Indian Vegetarian Cuisine” by Nasima Aziz